The goal of the English Department program is to help students grow in their understanding and use of the human communicative process:
- as a means of affirming the worth of the individual.
- as a vehicle for learning to think independently and critically.
- as a means for contributing positively to democratic institutions.
- as a means for determining a system of personal and social values.
- as a means of developing interest in the various media, not merely as vehicles of expression, but as art forms which provide practical and aesthetic insight into human nature.
- as an avenue to the understanding of such abstract concepts as beauty, wisdom, and truth.
The English Department recognizes the communicative process as three-fold: receiving, thinking, and sending. This process incorporates listening as well as reading, speaking as well as writing, and assimilating as well as receiving and sending.
2023 Weighted Class Summer Reading (for students entering 2023-2024)
|English 9X||9X Summer Reading assignment|
|English 10X||10X Summer Reading assignment|
|AP/IB English 11||AP/IB English 11 Summer Reading assignment|
|AP/IB English 12||AP/IB English 12 Summer Reading assignment|
Courses offered (* denotes a weighted class)
- English 9
- English 9X*
- English 10
- English 10X*
- English 11: American Literature and Composition
- English 11: Ethnic Literature
- English 11S: American Film Literature
- AP/IB Literature and Composition*
- English 12
- English 12: Expository Writing
- English 12: Genres of Literature
- English 12: Creative Writing
- English 12: Critical Thinking
- English 12S: World Film Literature
- AP/IB Language and Composition*
- Elementary Composition ACP (W131)*
- Genres of Literature: Literary Interpretation ACP (L202)*
- IB Film*
- Beginning Journalism
- Print and Online Media